I was craving muffins the other day and we had a bunch of frozen berries in the freezer. Hence – frozen berry muffins! I found a great recipe online at Sally’s Baking Addiction. The recipe is for a master muffin mix and you can adapt it to your liking.
I followed the recipe for the basic mix and then added a dash of nutmeg, a mashed banana and the frozen berries. They were delicious! I will definitely make them again. Nothing better than a fresh, warm muffin and a cup of coffee to start the day right!
Frozen Berry Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes // Cook Time: 30 minutes // Serves: 18-24 muffins
Basic muffin mix
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour (very careful not to overmeasure)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½ cup (120ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 mashed banana
- dash of nutmeg
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the sugars and eggs together and then add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. You can add the banana now too of you are using it.
- Combine wet ingredients with the dry ones but don’t over mix it! I only stirred it a few times – its still a bit lumpy and you can see some of the flour.
- Add the berries and use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently incorporate them. Again, don’t over mix.
- Drop the batter into a greased muffin tin and bake at 425ºF (220ºC) for 5 minutes. Then reduce temp to 375ºF (190ºC) and cook for 25 more minutes or till the tooth pick or knife comes out clean.
- Let them cool – or just eat them that very second like I did. I like mine with butter and a cup of coffee. Enjoy!
- Since this mix is “basic” you could add fresh berries instead or really anything else you think might be tasty!
- I filled the muffin tins almost to the top and they didn’t get too big, it was just right.
- The banana I added really helped make them extra soft, I bet if you added apple sauce it would be good too!
Do you think frozen or fresh berries work better for muffins? Let us know in the comments!